Monday, March 30, 2009

Inside the Chinese palace is full of tragic tales and horror stories...





The said Concubine Zhen entered the palace when she was thirteen and soon became the Emperor's favorite. I guess the Emperor's still-young (according to the modern standard) windowed mother, the Empress Dowager Cixi was not too fond of this fact.
There are so many titillating stories about Cixi. I often wonder whether she was born evil or was forced by circumstances to grow into such a ruthless power-hungry figure.
On our outings to admire the various palaces, I could not help but tell my eldest the horror stories behind the grandeur of Chinese dynasties, including what it means to be an eunuch and what it takes to bind a woman's feet.
I think I have forever scarred him. "All that glitters is not gold."
Mission accomplished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home